Used BMW 1 SERIES Differential
All used BMW 1 SERIES Differential listed on Breakeryard.com are tested, original (OEM) manufacturer parts and come with a 14 day money back guarantee. Breakeryard.com listed used car parts for BMW 1 SERIES are from premium breaker yards from across the UK, saving you up to 80% compared to main dealer prices.
What is a differential/what does it do?
A differential is a geared device that transfers power from the engine/gearbox to the driveshafts and on to the driven wheels of a car. The differential is generally located towards the centre of the driven axle. The internal gearing within the differential serves 3 main functions:
- Reduces the rotational speed of the gearbox or propshaft acting as a final down gearing mechanism
- Splits the gearbox output into multiple directions and directs it towards each driven wheel
- Allows each driven wheel to rotate at different speeds when cornering. This is essential as the outside wheel must travel further than the inside wheel when cornering.
Getting into the details of differentials
On a front wheel drive car the differential is generally located beside the gearbox and often offset from the centre of the axle.
A rear wheel drive car has its differential centred on the rear axle, with power transmitted from the gearbox via a propshaft.
All wheel drive cars have 2 or 3 differentials depending on the system. For permanent 4 wheel drive vehicles there is 1 for each axle and a 3rd central differential ensuring front and rear wheels can travel at different speeds. Non-permanent 4 wheel drive vehicles generally don’t have a central differential and front and rear wheels rotate at similar speeds.
There are various technologies employed in differentials but the most common types are open differentials, limited slip differentials, viscous coupling differentials, locking differentials and the Torsen differential. The type fitted to each vehicle is generally specified by the manufacturer and is not changed. However, some off road vehicles can be upgraded to offer better road or off road handling depending on the main use of the vehicle.
What if something goes wrong with a differential?
Due to the number of moving parts within a differential, routine maintenance is highly recommended. Issues are likely to occur if lubricant levels are not maintained. Symptoms of problems include gear/bearing whine or howling, clunking or clicking or other rumbling or whirring sounds emanating from the axle during driving.
- The BMW company was founded way back in 1916 and originally manufactured engines for planes. High demand for plane engines during WWI was good news for BMW, but they carried on making plane engines right up until 1945.
- Electric cars might be all the rage now, but BMW built their first one in 1972 and called it the BMW 1602e. It didn't quite make it to market though, thanks to the fact that it could only hold a twenty-minute charge.
- The BMW 3.0CSL was sold in the 70s and had the unusual addition of a spoiler that was kept in the boot. The owner could install it if they wanted to, but BMW couldn't sell the car with the spoiler attached because of road laws!
- Pop Art legend Andy Warhol was asked to hand paint a BMW, and he did the whole thing on a full-sized model in 24 minutes. He said afterwards, "I adore the car, it's much better than a work of art."
- The Cold War affected BMW sales so significantly that the company was nearly bought out by their arch-rivals Mercedes in 1959. A silent investor saved the company, but the rivalry between BMW and Mercedes Benz is ongoing.