Used BMW Body Shells
All used BMW Body Shells listed on Breakeryard.com are tested, original (OEM) manufacturer parts and come with a 14 day money back guarantee. Breakeryard.com list cheap new OES or aftermarket car parts at discounted prices and used OEM car parts up to 80% cheaper than main dealer prices for BMW from premium breaker yards from across the UK.
About Body Shells
The BMW body shell is the outer shell of a car body, forming the skeleton or frame of the car, upon which the body of the car is supported. The body shell consists of a selection of big sections of steel, of differing shapes and sizes, which are welded or cold riveted together to form the basic structure of the vehicle. The body shell functions primarily, therefore, as the most important structural component of a car.
The body shell of a car can come in an array of shapes and designs, dependent on the car make and model. The body shell is designed to be rigid so that it can support the rest of the car components and keep all of these parts aligned as they should be. The BMW body shell provides a base structure upon which systems, such as the suspension, can be mounted. The components of the car, such as the mechanical parts; interior fittings; the doors and window glass, are basically fixed to the <Model> body shell, usually separated from the frame by rubber insulator pads.
The major purpose of the BMW body shell is to support the body and mechanical parts of the car; support the weight of the passengers and luggage in the car; support the car structurally in a collision as well as offering protection to the occupants of the car; support the car in adverse weather conditions by adding stability and ensuring a steady drive; and stabilize the general handling and steering capabilities of the vehicle. The shape of the body shell also functions to assist with the aerodynamics of the vehicle, supporting the lift balance between the front and rear of the car, bettering the stability and handling.
Excessive corrosion, usually with cars that are left out in the elements all the time, can lead to the entire body shell needing to be replaced. Often the rest of the vehicle is running perfectly with plenty of life left, and a new BMW body shell could be the difference between a functioning car or having to take the vehicle off the road. If the body shell has received significant damage in a collision, then it will need to be replaced. You might have taken on a project to build your own car and want to buy a new body shell to begin this mission. When buying a new BMW body shell, you can be sure it's manufactured to support and be compatible with the other components of your specific car make and model.
- Pop Art legend Andy Warhol was asked to hand paint a BMW, and he did the whole thing on a full-sized model in 24 minutes. He said afterwards, "I adore the car, it's much better than a work of art."
- Did you know that BMW built a Lamborghini? The two popular companies decided to make a race car together, but Lamborghini pulled out during the manufacturing process. BMW carried on, and the final result was the original BMW M1 supercar.
- The main headquarters for BMW in Munich is designed and shaped to look like car parts. There was a whole new 'four-cylinder' building added on in 1973, and there's definitely the look of an engine about the architecture.
- Electric cars might be all the rage now, but BMW built their first one in 1972 and called it the BMW 1602e. It didn't quite make it to market though, thanks to the fact that it could only hold a twenty-minute charge.
- The BMW 3.0CSL was sold in the 70s and had the unusual addition of a spoiler that was kept in the boot. The owner could install it if they wanted to, but BMW couldn't sell the car with the spoiler attached because of road laws!