Used BMW Coil Packs
All used BMW Coil Packs listed on Breakeryard.com are tested, original (OEM) manufacturer parts and come with a 14 day money back guarantee. Breakeryard.com list cheap new OES or aftermarket car parts at discounted prices and used OEM car parts up to 80% cheaper than main dealer prices for BMW from premium breaker yards from across the UK.
About Coil Packs
The BMW coil pack is an essential part of the ignition of a vehicle. It consists of several coils in one fitting. Each coils role is to transfer the power from the vehicles 12volt battery in to a much higher voltage of thousands of volts to create the spark in spark plugs. They are then told when to fire by an on-board computer. These coils have some form of resistor in them, which limits the amount of power transmitted to the coils from the 12volt battery. This resistor can be an internal or external resistor or consist of a resistor wire. One coil pack is used for either one or two engine cylinders.
The downside of a BMW coil pack is that if one of the individual coils in the pack goes, the whole pack needs to be replaced. Just one damaged coil can cause its adjoined engine cylinder to misfire. This may show on the dashboard as a ‘check engine’ light. Damage can be caused by worn spark plugs, which make the BMW coil pack work harder to compensate, or faulty wiring or components. BMW coil packs can also simply wear out through repeated use.
- Electric cars might be all the rage now, but BMW built their first one in 1972 and called it the BMW 1602e. It didn't quite make it to market though, thanks to the fact that it could only hold a twenty-minute charge.
- The BMW 3.0CSL was sold in the 70s and had the unusual addition of a spoiler that was kept in the boot. The owner could install it if they wanted to, but BMW couldn't sell the car with the spoiler attached because of road laws!
- Think you know what BMW is an acronym of? If you answered Broke My Wallet, you’re definitely wrong. It really stands for Bayerische Motoren Werke (which is Bavarian Motor Works in English).
- Did you know that BMW built a Lamborghini? The two popular companies decided to make a race car together, but Lamborghini pulled out during the manufacturing process. BMW carried on, and the final result was the original BMW M1 supercar.
- The BMW company was founded way back in 1916 and originally manufactured engines for planes. High demand for plane engines during WWI was good news for BMW, but they carried on making plane engines right up until 1945.