Used Honda Starter Motors
All used Honda Starter Motors listed on Breakeryard.com are tested, original (OEM) manufacturer parts and come with a 14 day money back guarantee. Breakeryard.com list used car parts for Honda are from premium breaker yards from across the UK, saving you up to 80% compared to main dealer prices.
About Starter Motors
A car engine needs to be rotating at a significant speed in order for it to start. The Honda starter motor is a powerful electric motor which provides the power to turn the engine. The Honda starter motor works to provide enough power to get the car engine turning at the correct speed for it to start.
The starter motor is usually situated near the back of the engine, on the underside, where it can be bolted into position on the outer edge of the flywheel. The flywheel is a large cog, approximately 12" in diameter, which is connected to one end of the crankshaft, the main shaft inside the engine, which is turned by the movement of the pistons.
This powerful, electric motor is driven by the car's battery, and starts working when you turn the key in the ignition. It has a thick shaft with a small stubby sprung-loaded cog. When the ignition key is fully turned or starter button pressed, the power is transmitted via a solenoid switch to the motor. When the starter motor rotates, the sprung-loaded cog, due to its design, spirals out against its shaft spring and engages the cog of the flywheel. The starter motor then turns the flywheel, which rotates the engine via the crankshaft and the firing sequence is initiated and the engine starts. When the ignition key or button is released, the sprung-loaded cog on the starter motor disengages from the flywheel and pops back clear.
It is not uncommon for starter motors to malfunction. General wear and tear takes it toll on the Honda starter motor and it will eventually need replacing. Symptoms of a faulty starter motor can include an engine which is really slow to turn over and no response at all or just a click or clunk from the starter motor when you turn the key in the ignition. It is advisable to have any problems looked at by a professional. When replacing the Honda starter motor it should be compatible with the make and model of your car.
- When Honda first started manufacturing cars in Michigan, they found that the salt used on the roads caused rusting issues. They even had to recall cars until they found a way to counter the salt issue.
- Honda is the second largest car manufacturer in Japan (falling just behind Toyota), and the eighth largest in the world.
- One of their most important contributions to the history of car manufacturing is the development of the first VTEC engines.
- As a company, Honda is responsible for the manufacturing of more than 14 million engines every single year.
- An accessory that didn’t quite land, the early models of the Honda CR-V came with an in-built picnic table that could be pulled out.