Find parts for your car
Used Jeep Body Shells
All used Jeep Body Shells listed on Breakeryard.com are tested, original (OEM) manufacturer parts and come with a 14 day money back guarantee. Breakeryard.com list used car parts for Jeep are from premium breaker yards from across the UK, saving you up to 80% compared to main dealer prices.
About Body Shells
The Jeep body shell is the outer shell of a car body, forming the skeleton or frame of the car, upon which the body of the car is supported. The body shell consists of a selection of big sections of steel, of differing shapes and sizes, which are welded or cold riveted together to form the basic structure of the vehicle. The body shell functions primarily, therefore, as the most important structural component of a car.
The body shell of a car can come in an array of shapes and designs, dependent on the car make and model. The body shell is designed to be rigid so that it can support the rest of the car components and keep all of these parts aligned as they should be. The Jeep body shell provides a base structure upon which systems, such as the suspension, can be mounted. The components of the car, such as the mechanical parts; interior fittings; the doors and window glass, are basically fixed to the <Model> body shell, usually separated from the frame by rubber insulator pads.
The major purpose of the Jeep body shell is to support the body and mechanical parts of the car; support the weight of the passengers and luggage in the car; support the car structurally in a collision as well as offering protection to the occupants of the car; support the car in adverse weather conditions by adding stability and ensuring a steady drive; and stabilize the general handling and steering capabilities of the vehicle. The shape of the body shell also functions to assist with the aerodynamics of the vehicle, supporting the lift balance between the front and rear of the car, bettering the stability and handling.
Excessive corrosion, usually with cars that are left out in the elements all the time, can lead to the entire body shell needing to be replaced. Often the rest of the vehicle is running perfectly with plenty of life left, and a new Jeep body shell could be the difference between a functioning car or having to take the vehicle off the road. If the body shell has received significant damage in a collision, then it will need to be replaced. You might have taken on a project to build your own car and want to buy a new body shell to begin this mission. When buying a new Jeep body shell, you can be sure it's manufactured to support and be compatible with the other components of your specific car make and model.
- The original Jeep was designed in only two days! The prototype took 75 days to be built and then delivered to the US army that had commissioned the vehicle.
- Nobody knows where the name 'Jeep' comes from or why it was used. One theory is that it's a play on the phrase General Purpose Vehicle (GP), while others maintain that Jeeps are named after a character in the Popeye cartoon, Eugene the Jeep.
- The Jeep is the only vehicle to have won an American Purple Heart medal. The award was given after a Jeep was the first US presence on the beach at Guadalcanal. The Jeep was only slightly damaged, with some bullet holes in the windscreen, but General Eisenhower called the Jeep one of "the three tools that won the war."
- Jeeps have a distinctive flat slotted grill, but it's actually Ford that designed this part. Originally, the grill consisted of 13 slots, but by 1945 the number had dropped to seven.
- There's a whole sport called Jeeping, and it's been running since 1953. It's a trek that usually takes place along the Rubicon Trail in the US, and 'Jeep Jamborees' are now so popular that Jeep even attends the events, often bringing new concept vehicles to show off.