Find parts for your car
Used MINI Alternators
All used MINI Alternators listed on Breakeryard.com are tested, original (OEM) manufacturer parts and come with a 14 day money back guarantee. Breakeryard.com list used car parts for MINI are from premium breaker yards from across the UK, saving you up to 80% compared to main dealer prices.
MINI alternators work in conjunction with the battery to produce power for the electrical parts of the car. MINI alternators function by turning the mechanical action of the car’s turning drive shaft into electricity. They do this through the use of rapidly-spinning magnets. This magnetic field in turn produces an electrical current, which is used to power the car electrics. The MINI alternator is also essential for re-charging the car battery, ready to provide the spark necessary to start the car next time.
Alternators are generally quite small in size (a similar size to a roll of toilet paper) don't weigh much and are usually located at the front of the engine.
Usually most modern MINI alternators are maintenance-free and may have a lifespan of a decade or more. Eventually, however, these rapidly-moving car parts start to wear out, made worse over time by dirt and extremes of heat and cold. At best you might experience lights that dim sometimes, or warning lights temporarily flashing on your dashboard. More seriously, a battery that is not being fully charged during motion may mean that your car is difficult to start, or that the ignition fails completely.
In some cases, such problems are put down to an older battery, but more often than not the real culprit is the alternator which is not successfully charging the battery. Check the voltage on your car which should be around 14 volts. Anything less than this and it is likely that the MINI alternator is worn out and will need replacing.
- It might have been a tight fit, but 27 people can fit into a Mini. The Guinness Book of Records confirmed that 27 could fit into the classic model Mini, although 28 people managed to get into the BMW Mini in 2012. The 27-person record was performed by Dani and the Miniskirts during the London to Brighton Mini-Run.
- The Morris Minor Mini was the first British car to sell over one million units. It reached that landmark number back in 1961.
- Consistently voted the most popular British car of all time, there are almost 500 specialist car clubs dedicated to the various makes and models of Mini. And that's just in Britain. Globally, there are an additional 260 clubs all celebrating the Mini make.
- Over the last 41 years, five and a half million Minis have been produced by MINI.
- The Mini's designer, Sir Alec Issigonis, didn't like car windows that had to be rolled down. In fact, he didn't think that cars should have side windows at all!