Used Skoda Starter Motors
All used Skoda Starter Motors listed on Breakeryard.com are tested, original (OEM) manufacturer parts and come with a 14 day money back guarantee. Breakeryard.com list used car parts for Skoda are from premium breaker yards from across the UK, saving you up to 80% compared to main dealer prices.
About Starter Motors
A car engine needs to be rotating at a significant speed in order for it to start. The Skoda starter motor is a powerful electric motor which provides the power to turn the engine. The Skoda starter motor works to provide enough power to get the car engine turning at the correct speed for it to start.
The starter motor is usually situated near the back of the engine, on the underside, where it can be bolted into position on the outer edge of the flywheel. The flywheel is a large cog, approximately 12" in diameter, which is connected to one end of the crankshaft, the main shaft inside the engine, which is turned by the movement of the pistons.
This powerful, electric motor is driven by the car's battery, and starts working when you turn the key in the ignition. It has a thick shaft with a small stubby sprung-loaded cog. When the ignition key is fully turned or starter button pressed, the power is transmitted via a solenoid switch to the motor. When the starter motor rotates, the sprung-loaded cog, due to its design, spirals out against its shaft spring and engages the cog of the flywheel. The starter motor then turns the flywheel, which rotates the engine via the crankshaft and the firing sequence is initiated and the engine starts. When the ignition key or button is released, the sprung-loaded cog on the starter motor disengages from the flywheel and pops back clear.
It is not uncommon for starter motors to malfunction. General wear and tear takes it toll on the Skoda starter motor and it will eventually need replacing. Symptoms of a faulty starter motor can include an engine which is really slow to turn over and no response at all or just a click or clunk from the starter motor when you turn the key in the ignition. It is advisable to have any problems looked at by a professional. When replacing the Skoda starter motor it should be compatible with the make and model of your car.
- Skoda model names are often very peculiar. They have taken seemingly random words from Latin and English. The Karoq model is named after an old Alutiiq word that means both 'car' and 'arrow'. Of course, the Skoda Yeti is named after the Nepalese version of Bigfoot.
- Skoda is the 3rd oldest car manufacturer in the world. They sell an estimated one million cars every year.
- The Skoda Octavia set a new World record for the farthest arrow fired and caught from a moving vehicle. The record stands at 188ft and 7.775 inches.
- The 2018 Skoda Kodiaq RS is a seven-seater that set a new speed record in the car that has yet to be beaten (the car was driven by Top Gear presenter Sabine Schmitz).
- Famous graffiti artist Armando Gomes once painted a Skoda with 125 different types of paint. This was done as part of a bespoke order for an anonymous buyer.