Used Vauxhall Astra ECU
All used Vauxhall Astra ECU listed on Breakeryard.com are tested, original (OEM) manufacturer parts and come with a 14 day money back guarantee. Breakeryard.com listed used car parts for Vauxhall Astra are from premium breaker yards from across the UK, saving you up to 80% compared to main dealer prices.
What is the ECU/what does it do?
The term ECU (Electronic Control Unit) is a universal name given to a variety of electronic control systems found in a car. Collectively they make up the car's computer or brain which controls and regulates key components of the vehicle.
Getting into the details of the ECU
ECU’s are located within the dashboard or engine bay. It is often possible to ‘read’ or interrogate your car's various ECU’s using a laptop computer with relevant software and cable or a dedicated reader via a connection port which is usually located in the dashboard. This method is used by mechanics for diagnosis of certain vehicle faults.
An ECU controls or governs aspects of a car's systems including, but not limited to, the engine, ABS, suspension, automatic gearbox and power steering.
What if something goes wrong with the ECU?
Like any electronic component an ECU can fail for a number of reasons including short circuits, dry solder joints, water damage or age. Diagnosis is generally much easier with the correct reader which can be used to obtain error codes from ECU.
Vauxhall Astra trivia
- In 1999, the Astra MK4 was awarded four stars in the Euro NCAP tests and is still considered one of the safest cars in the country.
- The Astra was originally built in Germany, but after the consolidation of Opel and Vauxhall dealerships in 1981, production of the Astra moved to Ellesmere Port in the UK.
- In South Africa, drivers could buy the MK3 Astra, which came with a turbo-charged C20LET engine. The car was sold as the 200ts, and only one has ever been seen in the UK. Luckily, the C20LET supercharged engine was also used in the Calibra and Cavalier Turbo, so Brits could still experience the thrill.
- The Astra sold exceptionally well in the UK, and it quickly became the second most popular small family car in the country (after the Ford Escort). The Mark 2 Astra sold even more and came very close to the Escort in terms of sales.
- A survey by a car insurance company in 2016 revealed that the Astra is the top car for making yourself more attractive to women. 24% of those that took part in the survey said that driving an Astra would be an attractive attribute for a man, while only 19% said the same about the BMW 1 Series…