Used Vauxhall Vivaro Axle
All used Vauxhall Vivaro Axle listed on Breakeryard.com are tested, original (OEM) manufacturer parts and come with a 14 day money back guarantee. Breakeryard.com listed used car parts for Vauxhall Vivaro are from premium breaker yards from across the UK, saving you up to 80% compared to main dealer prices.
What is the axle/what does it do?
The term axle is loosely used to describe the shaft or two half shaft connected to transverse wheels. It can be a load bearing shaft or a shaft that drives the wheels.
Getting into the details of the axle
On a rear wheel drive vehicles the drive to the wheels comes from the propeller shaft which runs under the center of the vehicle, front to back, from the gearbox to the differential drive which is located centrally between the two rear wheels.The differential is a set of cogs which turns the drive rotation ninety degrees to each back wheel.The Differential, through the clever design and setup of the cogs, also allows the rear wheels to turn at different speeds necessary when the vehicle is turning. The term rear axle can refer to the complete set of two half shafts or half axles and the differential.
On front wheel drive vehicles there are two half shaft/axles connected from a differential that is usually combined in the gearbox via constant velocity joints which allows the front wheels to turn for steering the vehicle while under torque from the rotating shaft/axle. These CV joints are usually encased in a rubber sleeve containing lubricant grease. The rear wheels of the front wheel drive vehicle have stub axles which are usually short and part of an independent suspension system on each rear wheel.
What if something goes wrong with the axle?
Although usually very resilient, problems can occur in rear wheel drive vehicles in the differential with the wear of cogs, which maybe caused by lack of lubrication due to leaks. In front wheel drive vehicles the most common problem is the breakdown of the rubber sleeve on the CV joints connecting the drive shaft from the gearbox to the half shaft axle and to the driving wheels. The CV joints can suffer damage if the damaged rubber sleeves are not replaced, this is caused by wear with the ingression of dust and grit and loss of lubricant. Another cause of damage can be the collision with obstructions in the road or running up high kerbs etc.
Vauxhall Vivaro trivia
- The Vauxhall Vivaro is largely manufactured in Luton but is also made at the Opel factory in Barcelona, Spain.
- The Children's Trust, which is a charity that helps children and young people who have suffered a brain injury, were given a free, fully customised Vauxhall Vivaro Combi Minibus. The vehicle was chosen for its removable seating, its wheelchair access, and its adaptability. Most importantly, whole life cost analysis revealed that the Vauxhall Vivaro was the most cost-effective vehicle in its class.
- You can choose the length of your Vauxhall Vivaro. The L1 and the L2 also come with the option of being a panel van or a double cab.
- Thanks to its popularity, there have been a lot of TV shows that feature a Vauxhall Vivaro. You can spot a Vivaro in Dalziel and Pascoe, A Streetcat Named Bob, Chucklevision, Eastenders, A Touch of Frost, Midsomer Murders, and Dr Who.
- The Owner's manual for the current generation Vauxhall Vivaro comes in at an intimidating 182 pages and includes sections on driving tips, and how to save fuel and protect the environment.