Used Volvo Starter Motors
All used Volvo Starter Motors listed on Breakeryard.com are tested, original (OEM) manufacturer parts and come with a 14 day money back guarantee. Breakeryard.com list used car parts for Volvo are from premium breaker yards from across the UK, saving you up to 80% compared to main dealer prices.
About Starter Motors
A car engine needs to be rotating at a significant speed in order for it to start. The Volvo starter motor is a powerful electric motor which provides the power to turn the engine. The Volvo starter motor works to provide enough power to get the car engine turning at the correct speed for it to start.
The starter motor is usually situated near the back of the engine, on the underside, where it can be bolted into position on the outer edge of the flywheel. The flywheel is a large cog, approximately 12" in diameter, which is connected to one end of the crankshaft, the main shaft inside the engine, which is turned by the movement of the pistons.
This powerful, electric motor is driven by the car's battery, and starts working when you turn the key in the ignition. It has a thick shaft with a small stubby sprung-loaded cog. When the ignition key is fully turned or starter button pressed, the power is transmitted via a solenoid switch to the motor. When the starter motor rotates, the sprung-loaded cog, due to its design, spirals out against its shaft spring and engages the cog of the flywheel. The starter motor then turns the flywheel, which rotates the engine via the crankshaft and the firing sequence is initiated and the engine starts. When the ignition key or button is released, the sprung-loaded cog on the starter motor disengages from the flywheel and pops back clear.
It is not uncommon for starter motors to malfunction. General wear and tear takes it toll on the Volvo starter motor and it will eventually need replacing. Symptoms of a faulty starter motor can include an engine which is really slow to turn over and no response at all or just a click or clunk from the starter motor when you turn the key in the ignition. It is advisable to have any problems looked at by a professional. When replacing the Volvo starter motor it should be compatible with the make and model of your car.
- Volvo is Swedish and was founded in 1924 by two brothers who designed and built the ÖV 4 because they realised that other cars couldn't cope with Sweden's harsh weather. The car was given the name 'Jakob' and had both a 1.9-litre four-cylinder engine and a three-speed manual gearbox.
- The Volvo XC90 has won an incredible 70 awards, ranging from the Auto Express Car of the Year 2015, the Business Insider 2015 Car of the Year, the Sunday Times Top 100 Cars 2016, and the Motor Trend SUV of the Year 2016, to name just a few.
- There's a theatre in Ireland where the patrons all sit in seats from the Volvo S80 luxury saloon. A local Volvo dealer saw the seats being used at the launch of the S80 and asked Volvo if he could have some for his local theatre.
- Volvo is a Latin word that means 'I spin,' although some later translations change the meaning slightly to 'I roll.'
- During the 1950s, Volvo was doing so well that they started offering five-years worth of insurance with every car sale. It wasn't a long-lived campaign.