Ad provided by Google
Pay with paypal
Approved
Save money
Fast delivery

Join over 5 million customers

Carlton - Our Youtube Mechanic

New research from the UK’s number one network of approved national breakers has revealed that nearly half of drivers have attempted to fix their own car at some stage, with two fifths of these using online videos to learn how to do it.

It seems that, according to our recent study, more and more people are looking for an alternative option to visiting their local mechanic; as drivers seek to avoid garage costs by undertaking a bit of internet inspired DIY. Online tutorials can now be located with our youtube mechanic. The study has revealed that over half of drivers in the UK have attempted to fix their own car at some point, two fifths of which turned to online video tutorials to learn how to do so.

Our study polled 1,621 UK car owners aged over 18 as part of ongoing research into the preferences and habits of UK drivers; particularly when things go wrong with their vehicle.

Respondents to the study were initially asked, ‘Have you ever attempted to undertake car repairs yourself?’ to which 54% claimed to have done so at some stage. Of these, 62% claimed to have only done ‘minor’ repairs, but the remaining 38% stated that they had performed ‘extensive’ repairs to their vehicle.

The study then looked at the reasons behind this, asking those who had attempted a DIY repair, ‘Why do you choose to do it yourself?’ Respondents were able to select multiple responses, revealing that the majority, 53%, claimed to have done so because ‘going to a garage was too expensive’. Two fifths, 39% said that they ‘enjoyed car repairs’ and so wanted to do so themselves, whilst 32% admitted that they ‘didn’t trust garages’. When these respondents were questioned further, 56% of these respondents believed that ‘garages overcharged for minor work’.

The respondents who stated that they had attempted to repair a car were also asked, ‘How did you acquire the necessary knowledge to do this?’ The majority, 40%, claimed that they had ‘watched videos of how to do it on the internet’; whilst 31% said it was down to their ‘past experience of cars’. 24% explained that they ‘read books on the subject’, and just under a quarter, 23%, said that they used ‘friends’ car knowledge’ to their advantage.

The study then asked those who had said that they had looked online for pointers, ‘Did you find these videos reliable?’ to which 61% said that ‘yes’ they did. Only 19% said that they’d had a bad experience from following one of the videos. A further 20% admitted to having had a bad experience in the past, but conceded that the ‘blame was with them’ rather than the instructions they followed. When asked what they looked for to establish the reliability of a video’s information, the majority 68% based it on ‘user feedback’, whether that be comments or reviews regarding the video tutorials in question.

Matt Bott our Operations Director made the following comment:

“Something going wrong with the car is one of the biggest headaches for most of us, as we fear the inevitable repair costs. However, it seems that many of us are looking to get around this with a spot of DIY. Car parts generally aren’t as expensive as people might think, and the labour costs are often where the price can start to get hefty.”

He continued:

“A lot of drivers underestimate just how easy some minor issues are to fix. Not every rattle in the engine or strange noise requires a mechanic. Looking online can yield a wealth of information. Having said that, we wouldn’t advise trying to undertake major repairs to the car using a YouTube video only. In some instances, it’s best to leave it to the experts. We would say though, don’t be afraid of your car; they’re not as scary as they might seem!”

You can find some of our helpful Youtube DIY tutorials here.