Find parts for your car
Used Jaguar XK8 Central Locking
All used Jaguar XK8 Central Locking listed on Breakeryard.com are tested, original (OEM) manufacturer parts and come with a 14 day money back guarantee. Breakeryard.com listed used car parts for Jaguar XK8 are from premium breaker yards from across the UK, saving you up to 80% compared to main dealer prices.
About Central Locking
What is the central locking system/what does it do?
Central Locking systems are common or at least an option on most modern cars. It enables remote locking or unlocking of all doors from a key fob or from switches inside of the vehicle. This operation also functions with the insertion and turning of the key in the driver's and the front passenger door.
Getting into the details of the central locking system
On earlier makes and models that offered central locking the system was powered by a vacuum system. In general, modern makes and models are operated through the use of small electric motors and gears in an actuator, one of which is positioned inside each door cavity below the door lock lever pull rod and adjacent to the rear door closure on the hatchback or estate. The central locking system can be part of the security system controlled by the ECU (electronic control unit) which is part of the vehicle's computer system. Apart from controlling the central locking it may also control ignition lock, steering lock, alarm and immobilizer. Some ECUs also control automatic window closure, fuel flap locks and car vehicle tracking.
The system can consist of a separate control unit which picks up a radio signal pulse code from a preset key fob. Wired to the control unit are the actuators which run when the signal is received and push up the lock rod and open the lock. When the lock button on the fob is pressed the small electric motors run in the opposite direction and the actuator pulls the lock rod down. On some models the fob and control unit are programed and wired to control interior lights to switch on and remain on until the engine is started. Sometimes using the central locking can also activate or deactivate the alarm system.
The control of central locking is usually a two way switch on the center console or within the facia of the front doors, to open or close the locks on all the doors simultaneously . On some makes and models when locking the doors, any windows that are open will also close. There are also individual switches on each door that will operate that particular door.
What if something goes wrong with the central locking system?
Spares for the electric central locking system include actuators, control units, switches and key fobs. On older air vacuum systems they can include vacuum pumps and vacuum actuators.
- Steve McQueen was a huge fan of the Jaguar XKSS and even found himself with two driving bans because of his passion for driving fast. He was one of the few people to ever drive an XKSS because only 16 were ever made! McQueen did eventually sell his car, but regretted it immediately and paid more to get it back. The car is now owned by US TV host Jay Leno.
- The Jaguar XJ has that luxurious leather interior, but did you know that all of that leather comes very specifically from Scottish Angus Bulls? Bulls don't get stretch marks, and they don't get bitten much by mosquitoes either. Belly and neck skin becomes the dash and door finish, while the backbone and the rump are used for the seats.
- When they first launched in 1922, Jaguar was called the Swallow Sidecar Company. They changed the name in 1945 because of the unfortunate use of the letters 'SS' by Germany in the war.
- The 2014 Superbowl advert for Jaguar featured Brit actors Ben Kingsley and Mark Strong, with a terrified Tom Hiddlestone hanging out of a helicopter as it flew across London. Not many people know that the driver used for this advert was The Stig (Ben Collins).
- PM Margaret Thatcher was determined to keep Jaguar as a British company, and in 1984 she announced that the brand was protected from foreign purchasing. The government retained a 50% share of the company until it became clear that foreign investment was essential as 1990 rolled around.