Find parts for your car
Used Vauxhall Astra Water Pump
All used Vauxhall Astra Water Pump listed on Breakeryard.com are tested, original (OEM) manufacturer parts and come with a 14 day money back guarantee. Breakeryard.com listed used car parts for Vauxhall Astra are from premium breaker yards from across the UK, saving you up to 80% compared to main dealer prices.
About Water Pump
The main function of the cooling system is to keep the engine cool and stop it from overheating. Coolant, a combination of water and anti-freeze is responsible for helping to make sure the engine doesn't overheat. The cooling system does its job by allowing liquid coolant to move through the engine. The liquid absorbs the heat from the engine which in turn cools the engine down. Part of the car's cooling system, the Astra Vauxhall water pump functions to pump water and liquid coolant around the cooling system in an internal combustion engine. Its purpose is to keep the system running at the correct temperature for optimum engine performance and efficiency, preventing overheating of the engine.
Situated in the engine compartment, and sealed so as to the block with a water pump gasket, to prevent leaks, the Astra Vauxhall water pump is driven by the drive belt/cam belt which is connected to the engine's crankshaft.
The water pump, usually a box manufactured from either iron or aluminium, pumps liquid and circulates it throughout the system whenever the engine is in operation. The liquid being pumped out of the pump travels through the engine into the cylinder head, where it continues into the radiator and ends up back at the pump and the cycle is repeated. The correct amount of coolant needs to be present, and the right amount of coolant flowing through the radiator at all times that the car is in motion. If the coolant levels are too low this can have fatal results for the cooling system and subsequently the engine. The water pump plays an important role in enabling the engine to function as efficiently as possible and to perform at its best.
If the water pump fails, this will lead to the engine overheating because the liquid coolant is unable to circulate through the system. There are many problems that can arise with your car's cooling system so it is advisable to consult with your mechanic to establish the exact cause of the fault. Specifically designed for the make and model of your vehicle, the Astra Vauxhall water pump is the ideal choice when you need to replace this part.
Vauxhall Astra trivia
- The 2013 Astra used in the TV show Top Gear that was raced by celebrities went up for auction in 2019. After being driven by 22 celebrities, including Hugh Jackman, Benedict Cumberbatch, Will Smith, and Olly Murs (the fastest driver in the fun contest), the car sold for £6,000 despite not being roadworthy. There are claims that the Top Gear Astra has been seen by more people than any other car in the world, ever.
- A survey by a car insurance company in 2016 revealed that the Astra is the top car for making yourself more attractive to women. 24% of those that took part in the survey said that driving an Astra would be an attractive attribute for a man, while only 19% said the same about the BMW 1 Series…
- The Astra sold exceptionally well in the UK, and it quickly became the second most popular small family car in the country (after the Ford Escort). The Mark 2 Astra sold even more and came very close to the Escort in terms of sales.
- In South Africa, drivers could buy the MK3 Astra, which came with a turbo-charged C20LET engine. The car was sold as the 200ts, and only one has ever been seen in the UK. Luckily, the C20LET supercharged engine was also used in the Calibra and Cavalier Turbo, so Brits could still experience the thrill.
- The first Vauxhall Astra won the What Car? Car Of The Year in 1980, and came second in the European Car of the Year Award of the same year, which wasn’t bad going.