Find parts for your car
Used Alfa Romeo MiTo Intercooler
All used Alfa Romeo MiTo Intercooler listed on Breakeryard.com are tested, original (OEM) manufacturer parts and come with a 14 day money back guarantee. Breakeryard.com listed used car parts for Alfa Romeo MiTo are from premium breaker yards from across the UK, saving you up to 80% compared to main dealer prices.
The engine needs oxygen from the air in order for combustion to work. It's imperative that the car's engine is supplied with the correct amount of clean, filtered, cold air. In a combustion engine, the MiTo Alfa Romeo intercooler functions to cool down air once it has been compressed. The overall result of this ensures the engine is working to its optimum, providing more power and fuel efficiency.
Intercoolers are either front mounted or top mounted in the engine. Front mounted intercoolers tend to work better because they are in prime position to get a continuous stream of air, enabling the intercooler to transfer heat more effectively. Though usually made of aluminium, intercoolers are manufactured to be vehicle specific and the material, size and design of the intercooler as well as the location in the engine will vary depending on the make and model of the vehicle. The MiTo Alfa Romeo intercooler is made to be compatible with your car, specifically designed for the make and model of your vehicle.
In supercharged/turbocharged engines in particular, the air is heated to very high temperatures and the MiTo Alfa Romeo intercooler functions to counteract the heat produced by the process of combustion by cooling the air once it has been compressed. Air needs to be as cold as possible before it mixes with the fuel and burns in the cylinders of the engine. The cooler the air, the denser it is, which increases the volume of air being fed into the engine. This leads to a better combustion process in the engine because more of the air/fuel mixture is being burnt in each engine cycle, which improves the overall power, performance and efficiency of the engine. Intercoolers operate with either an air to water system, or an air to air system. The air to water system pumps water through the intercooler and as the compressed air flows through the intercooler, the water being pumped through takes the heat out of the compressed air, cooling it down. The air to air system harnesses air from outside the car to soak up the heat from the air, which cools it after compression. Air drawn in from outside passes through the intercooler, while the hot compressed air from the turbocharger is sent along a network of tubes inside the intercooler which have little fins on the end. These fins act as heat conductors, removing the heat from the air in the tubes and transferring it to the cool air that is being pumped through the intercooler, so that the air entering the engine is as cool as possible. The MiTo Alfa Romeo intercooler helps to provide a consistent, constant supply of cold air to the engine, providing the best conditions for optimum combustion.
As with most parts, over time and with continued use the intercooler will lose efficiency. Damage from stones and other road debris adds to the general wear and tear on this part. The intercooler can leak if the metal corrodes which can cause it to lose air pressure. A malfunctioning intercooler will affect the performance of the engine and make it less fuel efficient. Replacing this part with the MiTo Alfa Romeo intercooler will ensure a part that's compatible with the make and model of your vehicle.
Alfa Romeo trivia
- It is rumoured that the Alfa Romeo was one of Henry Ford’s favourite car designs. The story goes that he would always take off his hat as a sign of respect when he saw one on the roads.
- There was a long period where Alfa Romeo simply stopped selling cars to the USA. Exports stopped in 1995 and didn’t resume again until 2015 when they launched the 4C sports car.
- In 1933, the Italian government ‘acquired’ Alfa Romeo, and they kept their hold on it until 1986. That’s when Fiat bought the company and the government had no choice but to let it go.
- One of the most famous onscreen appearances of an Alfa Romeo was in the James Bond film Octopussy when the superspy stole a graphite GTV6. The car brand shows up again in Quantum of Solace, racing against Bond’s Aston Martin.
- All car companies have a slogan, but Alfa Romeo never seemed happy with theirs. They have had several, with everything from ‘The family car that wins races’ to ‘Mediocrity is a sin’. In 2020, they’re sticking with ‘Beauty is not enough. Power for your control.’