We are committed to protecting your privacy on-line.
We appreciate that you do not want the personal information you provide to us distributed indiscriminately and this policy explains how we collect information about you, what we do with it and what controls you have.
1. Who we are?
The website is owned by Breaker Yard Limited (The Data Controller). The data controller is responsible for and controls the processing of your personal data in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 (the “Act”). We are registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office and our registration number is ZA199560.
2. Personal data we may collect from you
We can only provide the services ordered by you if you provide us with your personal data. For the purpose of providing these services we collect personal data about you such as your We will keep records of your contact with us for all request, purchases and communications made through our website using our on line services including name, address, email address, telephone and mobile phone numbers, payment card information, vehicle details (registration number), MOT information, insurance details, IP address and MAC address as applicable to the service you require.
We will keep records of products and services you hold with us and all request and orders made and the associated payment methods used.
We will keep records of all marketing to you, including history of those communications, on information we think might be of interest to you and analysing that data to keep our marketing material relevant to you.
We will keep records of information about use of our services held by our sellers and buyers such as orders made and messaging.
3. What do we use your personal data for?
Your personal data will be used to provide the information, goods and services offered through our website to you, for billing and order fulfilment.
- For the management and auditing of our business operations.
- To monitor and keep records of all communications made using our services.
- For market research and analysis to improve our services
4. When do we share your personal information?
We may disclose your personal data:
- To other companies within our group.
- If we sell our business to a third party.
- To our agents and service providers (e.g. providers of web hosting or maintenance services).
- To third party suppliers.
When we request information about you from third parties such as credit reference agencies i.e. Equifax. We will add this information to the information we currently hold about you to enable us to make decisions about your creditworthiness and/or to detect or prevent money laundering and fraud if applicable.
Where we make such a request we will inform you of this intention and explain whether any record of the search will be recorded on a credit file. You have a right to obtain a copy of your credit. For more information, go to www.equifax.co.uk.
In any other case where we are required to do so by law or if we believe that such action is necessary to prevent fraud or cybercrime or to protect the website or the rights, property or personal safety of any person.
With your consent we may disclose your personal data to other companies within our group in order to enable them to send you information about products that might be of interest to you. At any stage you may object to this disclosure. We may also disclose aggregate statistics about visitors to our website in order to describe our services to prospective partners and other reputable third parties and for other lawful purposes, but these statistics will include no personally identifiable information.
4. E-mail Marketing
With your consent for some direct web based marketing communications
We may use your email address to send you information about products or services that are the same or similar to those that you have ordered from us and that we think you may find useful. We will do so only if you have indicated that you do not object to being contacted for these purposes.
Furthermore your personal data will be used to:
- Administer your account with us.
- Verify and carry out financial transactions in relation to payments you make online.
- Audit the downloading of data from our website.
- Improve the layout and/or content of the pages of our website and customize them for users.
- Identify visitors to our website.
- Carry out research on our users’ demographics and tracking of sales data.
- Allow, with your consent, carefully selected third parties to send you information directly which you may find useful regarding their products and services.
- We may use your phone number, email address or other digital channel to contact you according to your marketing preferences.
You can stop your marketing preferences at any time by writing to email@example.com
We may also monitor who accesses our website, for example we may automatically collect access information about you such as: the type of internet browser you use; the website from which you have come to our website and your IP address (the unique address which identifies your computer over the internet) which is automatically recognized by our web server. Such information enables us to assess and build a profile of our users.
We use this information to:
- Improve the layout or content of the pages of our website and customize them for users.
- Identify where traffic to our site comes from.
- Help us make advertising decisions.
6. For how long is your personal data held by us.
Unless we explain otherwise we will keep your personal data based on the following criteria:
- For as long as we have reasonable business needs, such as managing our relationship with you and for our operations.
- For as long as we provide goods and services to you
- The permitted retention in line with legal or regulatory requirements or guidance.
A cookie is a small text file that is stored on your device.
We place great importance on the security of all personally identifiable information associated with our users. We have security measures in place to attempt to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of personal information under our control.
We will use technical and organisational measures to safeguard your personal data, for example:
- Access to your account is controlled by password and username which are unique to you.
- We store your personal data on secure servers.
- Payment details are encrypted using SSL technology.
You should bear in mind that submission of information over the internet is never entirely secure. We cannot guarantee the security of information whilst it is in transit over the internet and any such submission is at your own risk. We employ reasonable efforts to safeguard your data and ensure that we maintain a reliable and safe environment.
It is advisable to close your browser when you have finished your user session to help deter fraudulent access to your personal information especially if you use a shared computer or a computer in a public place.
8. What are your rights under the data protection laws?
Here is a list of your rights. They don’t apply in all circumstances but if you wish we will explain at that time if they are engaged or not.
- The right to be informed of the processing of your data.
- The right to have your personal data corrected and completed if it is wrong.
- The right to object to the processing of your personal data.
- The right to restrict processing of your personal data.
- The right to have your personal information erased.
- The right to access your personal data and how we process it.
- The right to move, copy or transfer your personal data.
- The right to ask us to stop using your personal data for direct marketing purposes by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office who enforces the data protection laws at https:/ico.org.co.uk/.
If you are concerned about your data, you have the right, subject to the payment of a small fee (£10), to request access to the personal data which we may hold or process about you.
9. Our contact details
We welcome your feedback and questions. If you wish to contact us, please send an email to email@example.com or you can write to us at BreakerYard.com, Wilkerson House, Uphall Road, Ilford, Essex, IG1 2JJ or call us on 03333 130130. Our registered office address is Wilkerson House, Uphall Road, Ilford, Essex, IG1 2JJ.
Last updated 1.05.2018