Find parts for your car
- Audi (8) Apply Audi filter
- BMW (6) Apply BMW filter
- Chevrolet (10) Apply Chevrolet filter
- Citroen (17) Apply Citroen filter
- Ford (174) Apply Ford filter
- Honda (14) Apply Honda filter
- Hyundai (7) Apply Hyundai filter
- Jaguar (25) Apply Jaguar filter
- Kia (27) Apply Kia filter
- Mazda (6) Apply Mazda filter
- Mercedes-Benz (19) Apply Mercedes-Benz filter
- MG (5) Apply MG filter
- Nissan (28) Apply Nissan filter
- Peugeot (20) Apply Peugeot filter
- Renault (38) Apply Renault filter
- Smart (11) Apply Smart filter
- Toyota (29) Apply Toyota filter
- Vauxhall (163) Apply Vauxhall filter
- Volkswagen (9) Apply Volkswagen filter
- Volvo (7) Apply Volvo filter
A standard car door usually opens outwards and is normally mounted to the frame of the car with hinges, which are fixed to the car with either bolts or pins.
The door hinges attach to the top and bottom of the car door and function to enable the door to be mounted to the car and the door to be opened and closed easily with the hinged mechanism.
The door hinges enable the car door to be joined to the car, while the movable mechanism of the door hinge allows the door to swing open and closed. A hinge will have a great deal of stress and strain put on to it so it needs to be strong and durable. Door hinges are usually made of stainless steel because this metal does a good job at withstanding rust. There are many different types of hinges, but the hinges used in doors are usually made up of two sheets of shaped metal with holes for the bolts or pins, joined together by a barrell which is secured by a pivot, which enables the movement, allowing the door to be opened or closed.
The hinge mechanism can wear out over time, and parts such as the pins or bolts can stop functioning properly due to old age or corrosion, making it difficult to open or close the door with ease. Misaligned or loose hinges can lead to the door moving from it's proper position, which can cause it to bounce back when you try to shut it, requiring you to lift the door up in order to close it. When you need to replace the hinges on your car doors, buying a set of door hinges will ensure you get the right part for the make and model of your car.