Find parts for your car
- BMW (4) Apply BMW filter
- Citroen (3) Apply Citroen filter
- Fiat (10) Apply Fiat filter
- Ford (623) Apply Ford filter
- Hyundai (4) Apply Hyundai filter
- Iveco (5) Apply Iveco filter
- Kia (3) Apply Kia filter
- MAN (3) Apply MAN filter
- MERCEDES (8) Apply MERCEDES filter
- Mercedes-Benz (5) Apply Mercedes-Benz filter
- MINI (4) Apply MINI filter
- Mitsubishi (3) Apply Mitsubishi filter
- Nissan (8) Apply Nissan filter
- Peugeot (5) Apply Peugeot filter
- PEUGEOT EXPERT (4) Apply PEUGEOT EXPERT filter
- Suzuki (3) Apply Suzuki filter
- Toyota (10) Apply Toyota filter
- Vauxhall (19) Apply Vauxhall filter
- Volkswagen (4) Apply Volkswagen filter
- Volvo (3) Apply Volvo filter
- Alloy Wheel x1 (734) Apply Alloy Wheel x1 filter
- Alloy Wheel x2 (734) Apply Alloy Wheel x2 filter
- Alloy Wheel x3 (734) Apply Alloy Wheel x3 filter
- Alloy Wheel x4 (734) Apply Alloy Wheel x4 filter
- Alloy Wheel x5 (734) Apply Alloy Wheel x5 filter
- Alloy Wheels Set (734) Apply Alloy Wheels Set filter
- Key Lock Sets (734) Apply Key Lock Sets filter
- Replacement Wheel Arch Parts | Used, Second-Hand Wheel Arches (734) Apply Replacement Wheel Arch Parts | Used, Second-Hand Wheel Arches filter
- Steel Wheel x1 (734) Apply Steel Wheel x1 filter
- Steel Wheel x2 (734) Apply Steel Wheel x2 filter
- Steel Wheel x3 (734) Apply Steel Wheel x3 filter
- Tyre Complete Set (734) Apply Tyre Complete Set filter
- Tyre x1 (734) Apply Tyre x1 filter
- Tyre x2 (734) Apply Tyre x2 filter
- Tyre x3 (734) Apply Tyre x3 filter
- Tyre x4 (734) Apply Tyre x4 filter
- Wheel Arch Moulding (750) Apply Wheel Arch Moulding filter
- Wheel Arch Spat (736) Apply Wheel Arch Spat filter
- Wheel Bearing (734) Apply Wheel Bearing filter
- Wheel Hub Carrier (734) Apply Wheel Hub Carrier filter
What is the wheel arch/what does it do?
The wheel arch on a car is the arched metal section which sits above the wheel, arching over it, providing a space in the car body, for the wheel to sit.
The wheel arch functions to provide a space which houses the wheel, keeping the wheel within the body of the car, which provides a safety element in a crash by eliminating the risk of the wheels spinning off the car and out into the road and any unsuspecting traffic/pedestrians. The wheel arch also helps with the overall aerodynamics of the car by helping to direct the air flow over the vehicle. Also functioning as a protective barrier, the wheel arch helps to stop mud, stones and other debris from the road hitting the car.
Getting into the details of the wheel arch
Bolted or fixed with clips to the wheel of the car, the wheel arch curves above and follows the contours of the front wheel on the driver's side. It's usually covered with a plastic wheel arch lining or moulding. Wheel arch moulding is a protective or decorative strip attached to the outer edge of the wheel arch, shaped to cover or line the wheel arch. Wheel arch moulding often meets the bumper moulding, and door moulding, giving the look of a continuous strip, providing a sleek look to the exterior of the car. Wheel arch moulding is often chosen by car owners to enhance the car's appearance and styling. It offers additional protection from minor damage such as scrapes and dings and also adds detail or accents to the car's styling. The wheel arch moulding offers protection from day to day wear and tear and offers some protection to the paintwork and the wheel arch itself, helping to shield it from weather damage.
The wheel arch spat is a side cover for the wheel arch. It covers the upper part of the wheel and tyre, and in some cases hides the entire wheel. Like wheel arch moulding, the wheel arch spat offers additional protection to the wheel arch and helps it to function as a protective barrier, stopping mud, stones and other debris from the road flying up and hitting the car. And the wheel arch spat also gives a sleek look to the exterior of the car. Wheel arch spats are often chosen by car owners to enhance the car's appearance and styling.
What if something goes wrong with the wheel arch?
Exposed to all weather conditions and susceptible to damage from knocks and scrapes, stones and other road debris, the wheel arch, and parts such as the wheel arch moulding and wheel arch spat, will deteriorate over time. The wheel arch is particularly susceptible to corrosion and cracking and the wheel arches on a vehicle will eventually need replacing. Serious damage can occur to the wheel arch and other wheel arch components if impacted in a crash and this is a common reason for replacement of these parts. The wheel arch moulding could become damaged due to wear and tear, sun damage or minor accidents. Wheel arches, wheel arch spats and wheel arch moulding come in a variety of designs and styles and are specific to car make and model.